FOR THE CHOCOLATE & VANILLA SPONGES
- 115g butter, softened
- 115g caster sugar
- 115g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tbsp cocoa, sieved
- 1 tsp Nielsen Massey Vanilla Extract
- 175g butter, softened
- 100g caster sugar
- 75g soft brown sugar
- 175g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 10 drops hazelnut flavouring
- 3 tbsp chopped roasted hazelnuts, finely ground
- 1 tbsp Nielsen Massey Coffee Extract
- 10 drops Lakeland Natural Buttery Caramel Flavour
- 700g white frosting
- 20 drops Lakeland Natural Buttery Caramel Flavour
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4 and lightly grease the 5 pans with Cake Release.
- For the chocolate and vanilla sponges, place the butter, sugar, flour, baking powder and eggs in a bowl and mix until well combined. Divide the mixture evenly into two bowls then add the cocoa to one and the vanilla to the other and mix each gently until combined.
- For the hazelnut, coffee and caramel sponges place the butter, sugars, flour, baking powder and eggs in a bowl and mix until well combined. Divide the cake mixture evenly into 3 bowls then add the hazelnut flavour and ground hazelnuts to one, the coffee extract to the second and the buttery caramel flavour to the third and mix each gently until combined.
- Transfer the mixtures into the pans, spreading them evenly then make a slight dip in the centre of each with a spatula to help to achieve an even rise.
- Place all the pans in the oven, evenly spaced, and bake for 18 minutes until a skewer inserted into the middle of each cake comes out clean. Set aside and cool for 5 minutes then remove from the pans and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Place the frosting into a mixing bowl, add the flavour and mix until combined.
- To assemble the cake, smear a small amount of frosting on a cake stand or plate to secure the chocolate sponge. Spread a layer of frosting to the edges of it then top with the coffee sponge. Repeat with the hazelnut sponge, then the caramel and finally the vanilla.
- Smooth a thin layer of frosting all over the cake and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes. Place the remaining frosting in a piping bag with a flower nozzle and pipe swirls over the sides and top of the cake.
Tip: If the sponges have any crusts around the top, trim with a serrated knife before layering with icing to ensure that the cake does not topple when decorated.