Taste the intriguing flavors of chocolate and strawberry in every bite. Frozen pound cake and canned frosting make these sophisticated-looking mini sweets a snap to prepare.
- 1 10 3/4 ounce frozen loaf pound cake
- 3 tablespoons strawberry jam
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate pieces
- 1/2 16 ounce can chocolate frosting (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon strawberry liqueur or amaretto
- 18 fresh medium strawberries
- Cut cake into 1/2-inch-thick slices using a serrated knife. (You should have 12 slices.) Spread one side of half of the slices with strawberry jam. Top each jam-covered slice with a plain cake slice, making a sandwich. Cut each sandwich diagonally to form three triangles. You should end up with 18 mini sandwiches.
- For icing, cook and stir chocolate pieces over low heat until melted. Add frosting, stirring to combine. Stir in strawberry liqueur or amaretto. Heat and stir for 1 to 2 minutes more or until mixture is melted enough to coat cakes. Remove from heat.
- Insert a 2-or 3-prong long-handle fork into the side of the bottom slice of one cake. Holding the cake over the saucepan of icing, spoon on enough icing to cover the sides and top. Place the frosted cake on a wire rack. Repeat with remaining cakes, reheating icing, if necessary. Let stand for 30 minutes or until icing sets.
- Before serving, transfer cakes to a serving platter and place a strawberry on top of each serving. Makes 18 servings.