Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 35 mins
Total time: 55 mins
- 3 eggs
- 1½ cup milk
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1½ cup boiling water
- 400 ml of whipping cream, chilled
- 21 oz cherry pie filling
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoon salt
- fresh cherries with stem
- Preheat you oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add the all purpose flour to a bowl follow by the sugar, salt, baking powder, cocoa, and baking soda.. Mix it until well combined.
- Add the wet ingredients the milk, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, and then the eggs. Using an electric mixer, mix over medium speed, until it's well combined. You can do this using a whisk, as well. Gradually add in the boiling water and beat it for about 1½ minutes.
- Spray 3 nine inch baking pans with some baking spray and put parchment paper on the bottom. Divide the batter into three parts and pour into each of the trays.
- Place the trays into the oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, shave about 2 cups of chocolate using a sharp knife.
- After about 35 minutes, flip the cakes over onto a plate. If they are bulky, you can trim the tops using a knife. Tap the tops so they release easily.
- Add the whipping cream to a bowl. Make sure the bowl and the cream are cold. Beat until you get stiff peaks. Add ⅓ of the whipped cream to the first cake and add ⅓ layer of the canned cherries. Repeat this for all layers of the cake. Reserve some whipping cream for decorating the top.
- Apply the remaining whipping cream over the entire cake. Then, pat the shredded chocolate over the sides of the cake.
- Pipe some round swirls of frosting on the outside edges of the cake and put some cherries in the center. Sprinkle more chocolate shavings over the center of the cake.
- Chill, serve and enjoy your black forest cake.