- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 4 oz (1/2 package) cream cheese
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 Tablespoons raspberry jam (preferably pure fruit, no additional sugar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon milk or cream
- pink food coloring (optional)
1. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter until smooth. Add cream cheese and beat until fully combined and smooth.
2. Add 1 cup powdered sugar and blend. Add 1 Tablespoon of raspberry jam and blend.
3. Add vanilla and salt (only add salt if you've used unsalted butter)
4. Continue blending and add another cup of powdered sugar, and 1 Tablespoon of jam. Repeat with the last 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar and remaining tablespoon of jam.
5. Beat until well blended, smooth and fluffy. Slowly add 1 Tablespoon milk or cream and blend another 20 seconds or so. If desired, add a drop of concentrated pink food coloring (or red liquid food color).
6. Spread the frosting onto the cake layers using an offset spatula, or pipe the frosting onto the cake layers using a large piping bag fitted with a large round tip.
If you have a strong aversion to cream cheese, feel free to replace with an additional 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
This is enough frosting to generously frost the cake as shown (between the layers only).