Perfect for fall, here is a delicious recipe for Apple Tea Cake! This recipe was handed down to me from a family member and I it's perfect with a cup of tea in the afternoon... If you are looking for a recipe to use some of your freshly picked apples or just looking for a nice apple crumb cake, give this one a try!
- 4 Lipton Tea Bags
- 1 Med-Large Tart Apple
- 1 1/4 cups Sugar
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 12 tbsp Unsalted Butter (softened)
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Crumb Topping* (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a medium bowl, pour 2 cups of boiling water over tea bags, let steep for about 5 minutes.
- Remove tea bags, add ¼ cup of sugar and stir to dissolve. Add peeled, cored and rough chopped apples and let stand about 1 hour.
- After an hour, remove apple pieces and set aside. Also, reserve ¼ cup of tea liquid.
- In a small bowl whisk together dry ingredients and set aside.
- Add sour cream & vanilla to tea liquid, and stir to combine.
- In a large mixing bowl (or in the bowl of your stand mixer) cream together the butter and 1 cup of sugar. Then, add eggs one at a time.
- Next, alternate adding dry & wet ingredients, be careful not to over mix!
- Fold in apples with a spatula and then spread into a lightly greased 9" spring form pan.
- Evenly spread the crumb topping over the top of the batter, and then bake about 1 hour (or until a toothpick comes out clean) in a 350°F oven.
- Let cool completely on a wire rack before removing from pan.
- Optional: sprinkle powdered sugar over the top!
Video Recipe :