Dessert for Breakfast
For apple pie topping:
- 2 large juicy apples like McIntosh or Gala, peeled and cubed
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cup light cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 thick slices of stale challah bread
1. To make the apple pie topping: Add all of the ingredients to a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Simmer for about 12 to 15 minutes, or until the liquid reduces to a light syrup. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
2. To make the French toast: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. In a large shallow bowl whisk the eggs, cream, salt, vanilla, sugar, and cinnamon until light and foamy. Place the four slices of bread in the mixture and let it soak for about 30 seconds. Then flip the bread carefully and let it soak for 30 seconds more.
3. Place a skillet on the stove top over medium heat. Place a large pat of butter in the skillet and allow it to melt, then slowly swirl the pan so it coats the bottom completely. Add the bread slices so that each piece lies on the bottom — you may only be able to do one or two pieces at a time — and fry the French toast for about 2 minutes over medium heat, or until the side is golden brown. Then flip the toast and fry the second side until golden brown. Transfer the skillet to the oven and cook for about 5 minutes, or until completely cooked through.
4. Remove the skillet from the oven and transfer the toast to a platter and drizzle it with the fresh compote. Serve warm.